So you’re in the market for a retractable awning, that’s a wise choice! But it’s a big purchase, and you’re a smart buyer so you’ll want to do some research before you sign the dotted line.We hope these questions will help you make an informed purchase decision.
- Where will the awning be installed?
For most of our customers, the awning will be over a deck or a door. Ask if the location will fit your needs and provide the protection from the shade you’re hoping for.
- How will the awning be mounted?
The awning can be mounted to the exterior wall, to the roof above the gutter, or to the eave under the soffit. This is an important discussion to have, because this will affect the height of the awning, and thus, the pitch (or, how steep the slope is.) The mount will make a difference when it comes time for the awning to be installed.
- What does the warranty cover?
This can be a little confusing, because the different components all have different warranties. For many manufacturers it varies and is highly recommended you understand the details of a warranty before any final purchase. Eclipse Shading Systems warranty includes:
- If any of the products that you have purchased from our company are defective, in materials and workmanship, we promise to repair or replace them free of charge under the terms of our standard warranty
- 10 year frame guarantee
- 5 year powder coated frame finish guarantee
- 8 year awning fabric guarantee
- 5 year motor, control & electronics guarantee (if equipped)
- Is motorized or manual retractable awning the best option?
We may be a bit biased, but we highly recommend upgrading to a motorized awning! We’ve learned from customer surveys that the customers who have motorized awnings are much happier with their purchases than those who have manual. Motorized awnings are convenient (you can even control the awning with an app on your smartphone) and you won’t have to use your arm muscles.
However, many customers choose manual operation. Often because they don’t have electricity on their decks and having it installed would be too costly or, in some cases, their home owner’s association would not allow for it.
- What is the typical lead time?
You’ll want to make sure that the awning can be installed at a time that is convenient for you.
We recommend working with a company who uses professional installers – like our skilled team at Eclipse Shading Systems! Some of our customers choose to install their awnings themselves, but be aware that this may affect your warranty.